The coconut possesses a wide variety of health benefits due to its fiber and nutritional content, but it is the oil that makes it a remarkable source of food and medicine. It has definitely earned its reputation as the healthiest oil in the world despite the fact that its high saturated fat content was once falsely claimed to be unhealthy.
Coconut Oil Benefits:
- Intake of coconut oil can help our resist viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida.
- Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control.
- Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy, and endurance.
- It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
- Coconut oil lowers and maintains cholesterol levels.
- Coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer for skin and hair.
- Relieves stress.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Relieves kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, and bone strength.
Coconut Oil Uses:
- Hair Care: Massage oil through hair. If the oil is solid, you can melt the oil in the sun or warm water.
- Skin Care: Use as a moisturizer.
- Food: Replace butter or vegetable oils with coconut oil in your recipes. I personally use coconut oil in my smoothies because I don’t taste it and I still get the benefits!!
Others - aside from the health benefits mentioned earlier the following health benefits have been attributed to the beneficial use of coconut oil:
- Protects against cancer and HIV and other infectious diseases
- Kills bacteria and parasites like tape worm and liver flukes
- Eases acid reflux, aids in proper bowel function
- Lowers incidence of hemorrhoids
- Heals and relieves intestinal problems
- Soothes earaches
- Deals with symptoms connected with prostate enlargement
- Strengthens the liver and protects against degeneration
- Reduces incidence of epileptic seizures
- • Reduces joint and muscle inflammation
- Eases neuropathies and itching from diabetes.
I Don’t Like the Taste of Coconut Oil. What Should I do?:
Try using coconut oil in some different recipe. That may help. If you get nauseated after eating coconut oil, don’t force yourself. As it happens with any other food item, your body may be allergic to coconut oil and it is best not to consume it.
How much oil should be taken in to enjoy its benefits?:
According to researchers, an adult should consume around 3 1/2 tbsp. of coconut oil daily: an amount equal to the MCFA a nursing infant would receive in one day. The benefits of coconut oil are derived from the nutritional value of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA’s), and the best comparison in nature as to the percentage of MCFA consumed in a diet is in human breast milk. For those who are not used to having coconut oil in their diet, it is best to start out with a lesser amount and see how the body reacts before following the recommended amount